Thursday, January 8, 2009

Shadows and Somnolence in Bangladesh, India and Malaysia

A worshipper at a Jain Temple in Jaisalmer, India.


Dusk at the Jamai Masjid in Old Delhi - India's largest mosque.

It’s a favorite moment when darkness starts to overcome the light, or when there’s a dark quiet corner where you can just sit and listen to nothing but the voices of your mind; when it’s dusk and birds fly back to where they can rest their wings.
I am partial to shadows for when they cast on objects, lines are better delineated. It’s easier to judge things and people. Black and white. Black or white. Beside them, colors are easier to appreciate. My mind tends to wander more freely into the deeper recesses of some uncharted territories. And it’s always fresh every time.
Here are a few random images that came to life from my last journey.

Promises of deep slumber at the Qutub Minar, New Delhi. This is a UNESCO World Heritage site that absolutely took my breath away. I'll be posting its photos in the future - when I'm way past lazy. LOL

Shadows and colours. Jaisalmer Fort, Jaisalmer, India.


Eerie silence and solitude. Armenian Church, Dhaka, Bangladesh. This hidden enclave was opened exclusively for me.

30 minutes before take-off. Just outside my predeparture area at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) on my way to Dhaka, I waited outside where I could sit and stretch my feet on comfy recliners.

Snoozing and dozing. I was tempted to join them at the second floor of the Blue Mosque in Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia. While other people were trooping their way to pray, some other people had a different purpose of visit at the Blue Mosque. I have had hours of walking around and was weary after finally seeing the prayer hall inside the mosque through a winding staircase. Non-muslims like me were not allowed at the main hall.


Moon over Agra. It was an idyllic time arriving into the sleepy town of Taj Ganz on a dreamy night. After checking in at my hotel, I went up the rooftop and had my moonlit dinner while the view of the majestic Taj Mahal sits placidly from a distance.


Sneaking out and stepping on Jaipur soil. My night train from Agra to Jaisalmer was late as usual - by 2 1/2 hours! - so I had this golden opportunity to peek through archways. Snap!


This is the Eye in the Sky.





No comments: