This newly developed sprawl is a welcome addition to the city’s few attractions. Facing the
A few blocks from the baywalk is a restored garrison developed into another park. This takes us back to its grim history. In the evening of December 14, 1944, the Kimpie-tai unit of the Japanese Imperial Army set the prisoner tunnels on fire burning alive 143 American prisoners of war (POWs). Eleven soldiers – Rufus Smith, Ernest John Cablos, Edwin Petry, Eugene Nelson, Elmo Deal, Tommy Daniels, Don T. Schlot, Fern Joseph Barta, Glen Weddal McDole, WM J. Balchus, Alberto D. Pacheco – devised a heart-stopping escape that would have them swim the night seas all the way to Iwahig for freedom. Burnt remains of the fallen POWs were taken to
Right across Plaza Cuartel is one of the 89 cathedrals in the
It is hard to miss the province’s seat of governance. The building is circular, with a blue dome at the center. Philippine flags are hoisted above and around the beige walls. The lot was donated by the former mayor of Puerto Princesa, Don Pedro M. Vicente, Sr. As respect to the former mayor, the park grounds just outside the circular capitol was dedicated to and named as
Holy Trinity College just beside the Immaculate Concepcion Cathedral. At the other side is the Baywalk.
NCCC, the city's only big-department store. This is where day-outers for Dos Palmas Resort will wait for the service bus that will take them to the port.
Post a Comment