Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Meherangarh Fort 03 - Sights From a Fortress on a Hill



There are open air spaces and courtyards at the Meherangarh Fort in Jodhpur. One corner would have their version of buskers playing a string instrument. I stood in front of a young man watching him play a haunting strain that felt like pent up longings. Was it all in my mind? An Indian lady stood behind me and whispered, "sarangi". It felt like an incantation. It was only later when I realized that she was telling me the name of this guitar-like gadget, or was it? From different photos, it looked more like a ravanhatha. It is said that the modern guitars have been modeled after these instruments, and I take pleasure in knowing that. I'd have wanted to check it out but you don't disturb an artist in action, do you?

Please compare:




At another corner, the grounds seemed like a different place. I was suddenly transported to some remote desert with sparse vegetation and few inhabitants. There was a vendor selling colorful Rajasthani dolls. Some of them were hanging down the branches of the tree. I shiver at the thought of witches using dolls to use on enemies. I was a visitor, and I wanted to impart that. When you're all alone, funny thoughts sometimes cross your mind. The lady vendor was sitting down the dusty ground, gazing at me with curious eyes. I smiled in spite of myself, for what could be a more perfect, albeit impersonal greeting than such. But no, I'm not buying dolls.



I moved away from the stalls, turning towards the top of a wall. From there, another sprawl of the blue city down below was visible. I was 400 feet above this sprinkling of blues, yet the sky had a similar hue hanging over me like a blanket of warmth.

Rajasthan doesn't seem like the India I've always imagined. It's a separate concept of a mystical land more akin to that of the middle eastern terrain than anything else. Did I say that Jodhpur is at the fringes of the Thar Desert (though Jaisalmer is closer)? The colors here come alive like genies from a magic lamp. I am spellbound by its beauty.

This is the Eye in the Sky!


















2 comments:

Siddhartha Joshi said...

Nice and beautiful blue houses...

eye in the sky said...

I like their chosen color scheme too.