Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Meeting my new traveling companion!








My new baby!


When I decided to get a new camera to bring with me to my trip all over Thailand and Myanmar in less than a week's time, I was bent on a high-end, point-and-shoot camera. I didn't want an SLR (my first one got nicked at Parque del Retiro in Madrid when I got -huhu- mugged there). SLRs are bulky and would hamper my mobility. I am not a professional photographer so there's no use getting the highly technical cams, but I also wanted one that would allow me to experiment and play around with my images. With a budget that would probably approximate one cheap Asian visit, I bought Canon Powershot G9: 12.1 megapixels, 6x optical zoom, and steady shot. What's more is that it actually has AF-assist beams, ISO shifts, ISO speed dial and mode dial like your usual SLR, etc. Did I hear my brother tell me that this is semi-SLR?

Oh well, I am very happy with what I bought. THIS is a LOT better than my crappy HP R607 Photosmart cam (4 megapixels) which seems like a jurassic age camera beside my powershot G9. Hehe. This camera also allows macro shots, those dramatic close-ups. Furthermore, it allows me to add gadgets in the future, like flash accessories.


Although I still would be carrying with me my Canon Instamatic (for when batteries run out on the road)... Fact is, 50% of all my pics here are taken with my low-tech film-carrying Canon instamatic. It is one dependable gadget. Magastos lang sa film and limited capabilities with night shots.



DAVAO Sleeps


I never realized that Davao City sleeps on Sundays. The whole line of commercial shops and restaurants close every Sunday (except the Malls), which is weird considering that people and families actually go out on such day. I guess Davaoenos are a rich lot not to care too much about profits on Sundays. I also noticed that there are sooo many minor oil players here. Gas stations with names I haven't heard: Phoenix, Eastern, Jetti, etc.



Malaysian Native Durians


I recently came across a new variety of Durian which Ive never seen before. They call it Malaysian Native. Planted in some huge hectareage by the Cojuangcos, they also renamed it as "Cojuangco Variety". How convenient. The husk is "greenish-brown" even when ripe already. Smaller than the new hybdrids and way more difficult to open (the thorns are small and closer to each other), this variety seems more pungent. Furthermore, when you open it into its compartments, you will find a maximum of 2 "fruits", or an average of 1 durian flesh. As to the taste, true to its origin of being a native variety, it is milky and, as my niece would say, "yummy"!



This is the Eye in the Sky.




No comments: