Tuesday, September 11, 2012

YY38 Hotel - Accommodations in KL



Another new hotel that I checked out and tried during my March-April 2012 travels was YY38 Hotel that I booked after having journeyed through central Vietnam and en route to Surabaya (Indonesia). The hotel itself is a no-frills hotel that sells its vibrant colors to its guests, as well as its prime location. It's just a block away from the popular hawker's street of Jalan Alor in the heart of Bukit Bintang. Though it succeeds being colorful and "contemporary" (it's also relatively new), it fails a wee bit in being trendy and hip. This is one of those times when they look a lot better in photos than when you're actually there. But I guess I shouldn't complain. After all, it's also one of the most affordable.

Check out their ultra colorful website - http://www.yy38hotel.com.my/

Their use of hues is so delectable, the color scheme is nothing less than hip and contemporary. The lobby is as colorful, though pared down by simplicity. The entrance is situated beside a 24-hour convenience store called KK. They're also one of the very few hotels that requires a 50 ringgit deposit upon check-in (which they'll reimburse upon check-out). I have never been in another hotel via Agoda that collects 50 ringgit deposit.

I walked from Bukit Bintang station to get to Jalan Tengkat Tong Shin, just a block away from Jalan Alor. Check-in was fast after "paying" my 50 ringgit deposit. You have to swipe your card key before pressing your floor number at the elevator. My room was at 314 which had a good view of the area. Though I understand the minimalist interiors, the room itself felt too bare. I was actually disappointed because I expected a little more vibrancy from the photos I saw in the internet. But it was alright. I didn't plan on staying in my room most of the time. Another disadvantage is that they don't have a restaurant nor room service, but then Jalan Alor is at the corner, and there are literally hundreds of eateries in the area. If you need a fast sugar requirement or something to quench your thirst with, KK store is beside the hotel .

Tengkat Tong Shin is littered with massage parlors and restaurants. There's also an internet cafe just across the street that's open all day. The doorman would gladly call you a taxi when you require one. However, I would suggest you walk a little further away from the hotel and hail a cab yourself. My experience had me paying 20 ringgit for a ride that should only take 10 to 15 ringgit to KL Sentral. the driver's reason - "It's a hotel taxi!" The hotel doorman called it after all. Quite the ruse, if you ask me.

The hotel is clean, new, with not a lot of supplementary amenity to speak of, but it is affordable and the basic requirements are met. My favorite thing here is the very clean bathroom. It's well maintained and you don't see molds (it's new after all). Mostly, the location is excellent. Forget the "hip" colorful theme altogether. It isn't much once you're inside your room, but it will more than suffice if budget is tight. The front desk personnel are also exceedingly hospitable. You can ask them anything and they will gladly offer their 2 cents worth. The management sure knows how to pick their people.

YY38 Hotel is located at 38 Tengkat Tong Shin Street, off Bukit Bintang. Call them at 603-2148-8838. Email them at enquiries@yy38hotel.com.my. their website - http://www.yy38hotel.com.my/

This is the Eye in the Sky!



My room 314



My favorite part of the hotel. I feel comfortable when the bathroom is very clean.






Room with a view







Swipe your card then your floor number to get the elevator to work.

Friendly reception clerk in a no-frills minimalist lobby.

The entrance to the hotel is just beside the KK Convenience Store.



Hotel is located at the corner of Jalan Tengkat Tong Shin angdJalan Sahabat.

Radius International Hotel

From Tengkat Tong Shin Street, make a right to this street, the next corner is already Jalan Alor, KL's famous hawker's street.

Loong Kee, a Chinese restaurant along Jalan Alor.

The Chinese restaurant along Jalan Alor comes alive with colorful lanterns at night.


Other options, if budget is tight:

http://eye-in-the-blue-sky.blogspot.com/2009/03/accommodations-in-kuala-lumpur-part-1.html
http://eye-in-the-blue-sky.blogspot.com/2009/03/accommodations-in-kuala-lumpur-part-2.html
http://eye-in-the-blue-sky.blogspot.com/2009/04/backpack-accommodation-in-kl-part-3.html





2 comments:

Ola said...

the town, itself, looks very interesting!

eye in the sky said...

@ Ola:The area is very "Asian", actually. :)