Sunday, July 1, 2012

Wat Liab at Dusk - Temples of Ubon Ratchathani



Starting this post, we shall feature some of the temples we've visited in Ubon Ratchathani. There is a surfeit of temples throughout the city so it's a little ambitious to visit each one if you only have a couple of days or so. But the city has some of the most eye-popping temples ever gathered in one place. In fact, even the less written temples are a sight for sore eyes.

Wat Liab is located in the heart of Muang District, along Srinarong Road. It wasn't even in my itinerary. I discovered it after a long day when I decided to stroll down the street where my hotel is (Krungtong Hotel). I saw restaurants, the tourist assistance center, and a bustling market. The sun was gradually dipping its head below the horizon, thus photos are a bit on the dimmer quality. I've missed the "magic hour" by a few minutes, but I didn't mind. To be honest, I never learned of its name much until later.

Wat Liab is a newly renovated temple, thus everything gleamed and glistened. The temple is lavishly decorated and almost garishly painted. There are several structures that rise from the temple grounds. Much like other Thai temples, there's an ubosot (an ordination hall), wiharn (where laity could pray), and several other structures spread across the ground. Sometimes, it's almost too colorful that a visitor is hard pressed to earnestly reflect on the grandiosity around him.

Wat Liab is not mentioned in my guide book, thus I was glad to have come across it one afternoon when I was already winding down my activities.

This is the Eye in the Sky!


Wat Liab Pavilion

A wiharn houses important Buddha images where the layman can pray. There are several in Wat Liab.




Minimalist Buddha altar. It's almost as sparse as the exteriors are lavish.



A wiharn





Dragon shaped chofahs (decorations at the end of temple gables)













Arched entrance to the ubosot (ordination hall)

Doors to the ubosot where laity is not allowed, especially women.


Tiger guarding the ubosot.



Shadows and curves as the sun sets at the horizon.

Intricate grills at the windows (above and below)



Giant mythic creatures guard the ubosot



Pavilion




No comments: