Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sri Isan Hotel - A Delightful Boutique Hotel in the Heart of Ubon Ratchathani


I arrived in Sri Isan Hotel on a taxi at middday. I booked a different hotel this time so I could check out another area of Ubon Ratchathani. This is closer to the Moon River which was the draw of the place upon my second arrival in the city. Last time I was here, it was at Krungtong Hotel which wasn't too far from here, but this was more ideal if you wanted a little more city bustle, though not by much. More city transport ply this route. The Night Market is a block or so away.

I easily checked in and proceeded to my Agoda booked room 221, located at the 2nd floor. Sri Isan Hotel is a boutique hotel - a three-star accommodation that has 33 rooms, spread out in 3 stories. I got a standard room near the stairs. Though tastefully decorated, the room is comparatively smaller (half the size, to be exact) from my less expensive room in Krungthong. But it is equipped with a ref, a cable television and a very clean bathroom. They have wifi, as well as a single computer at the lobby - 10 baht every 10 minutes ($0.30/10 minutes - thus expensive). Two complimentary bottles of water are also provided during your stay. More importantly, people at the front desk are very accommodating and English is widely spoken (which is almost non-existent in Krungthong).

They have a 24 hour restaurant service. Food is affordable, but a little on the "dry" side, with gastronomy concentrating more on its presentation than its taste. Since my room accommodates two (I got a double bed), I was given breakfast for two people the following morning - and if they thought I would pass that up, they had another think coming since I really wanted to try other entrees from their menu. This was an opportunity that didn't require me to pay.

The lobby is an extension of the nearby restaurant and bar, and has a textile/souvenir shop. Ubon map is available at the counter so I bought one at 120 baht ($3.80). There's also a security guard who mans the hotel entrance 24 hours a day. Nearby is a sprawling market building beside the river. There are a couple of temples nearby, and you could cross Rattanakosin Bridge to the other side of the river.

The atmosphere inside exudes sophistication and you notice well heeled Thai tourists populating this hotel. It's relatively cheaper than most boutique hotel considering its location. Though my room is a little smaller, their junior suites are said to be spacious, but what do I need a junior suite for when there's only me occupying the room? It's really just a place to retire my tired feet from - after a long day of gallivanting.

Sri Isan ranks 7th out of the 18 hotels available in Tripadvisor. That isn't too bad a ranking. More importantly, I wouldn't mind stay here if I were to return in Ubon in the future.

Sri Isan Hotel is located at 62-66 Ratchaboot Road right at the heart of Ubon Ratchathani City Center. Contact them at +66-045-261-011 or mail them at  info@Sriisanhotel.com. The easier option is to book via Agoda. Their website -  http://www.sriisanhotel.com/ They are also known for their fast replies. Though I booked via Agoda, I emailed them to double check on my reservation. I got a brisk reply the day after I wrote them. Don't you just love competence?.

This is the Eye in the Sky!



Clean, nice-smelling sheets and blankets, though the mattress is relatively new, thus its less "pliable" to the shape of your body/back. 





English speaking front desk people: one of the friendliest in the region.

Dining table, piano, computer at the lobby.

Textile and souvenir shop at the lobby (in front of the front desk counter)













My 2nd floor room - there are no elevators (lifts) here.


Getting merit - A beautiful photo on display at the 2nd floor wall.

Chicken with Garlic over Rice at the Sri Isan Hotel Restaurant at 60 baht ($1.80) plus 25 baht ($0.80) for coke: serviceable but a little dry.

Sri Isan Hotel at Ratchaboot Road in Ubon Ratchathani.



6 comments:

Ramakrishnan said...

Seems to be a Hotel with comfortable rooms, nice lobby, spacious restaurants and delicious food !

eye in the sky said...

@ Ram:

I do like the lobby. I could just sit there and watch people walk by. :)

NRIGirl said...

Just can't believe they settled for harsh pink walls and ink blue headboard! Probably it wasn't as bad in person.

Do you normally collect any souvenirs @Eye in the sky?

Ola said...

it could be everywhere in the world-a 3star hotel, which is positive, the food looks ok and is not expensive (comparing to Europe)

Blog about life and travelling
Blog about cooking

eye in the sky said...

@ NRIGirl:

Harsh pink and ink blue... Haha. Sure doesn't sound nice. But it isn't really as bad. In fact I hardly noticed, to be honest.

I buy paintings and posters, anything I could frame and hang on a wall. Many of them are inexpensive, but as long as they remind me of the place (and not bulky to be carrying along during travels). :)

eye in the sky said...

@ Ola:

Agree. Europe costs an arm and a leg. :)