Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Mandarin Plaza Hotel - A Pleasant Stay in the Heart of Cebu City


Cebu City is a favorite so I find myself repeatedly transiting here. To keep the experience fresh, I always try new hotels. Mostly though, there's always a factor during each stay that doesn't make it "perfect". A haughty front desk officer. A check-in that takes a little too long. An area that's not too tourist-friendly. A bland breakfast spread. But to my memory, there's one hotel with few annoyances - Mandarin Plaza Hotel.

Built in 2013, the design and amenities are quite modern, and the space for rooms is quite generous. The lobby is breezy with a winsome minimalist design, but to the left of the building are a row of giant chandeliers gloriously hanging down the ceiling, as you glide down the stairs (but hardly anyone uses the stairs). My room was at the 8th floor, as requested. I loved the idea of having so many elevators on service - 6? Or was that 8? How many elevator does Crown Regency have, 2?

There's a swimming pool at an upper level. Breakfast is at the ground floor restaurant. Mandarin is located just across Ayala Mall; there's Archbishop Reyes Street to its left and Escario Street to its right. A jeepney terminal is nearby, and 24-hour restaurants are a few paces away, not to mention a 7-11 some 3 blocks from the hotel.

Though the bed is standard sized, thus "smallish", it is comfortable. The elongated lamp shades are easy on the eyes; a very official looking desk, a glistening floor and a very clean bathroom are some of its features. Wifi is fast and available everywhere, though some guests have complained about about it being non-existent. Insist for a room with good signal, if you require it. If you want a swim, head to the pool which, at best, is serviceable; nothing fancy. I liked the demeanor of the staff. They're polite enough and non-obtrusive. Some guests may prefer a little more warmth, but as long as they're not rude - and reply when asked, I am good with that. I wasn't there to do 'chummy" with them. The front desk at Bayfront Hotel near SM is way more accommodating, albeit more welcoming. From my room, I could see the poolside view of one of my favorite hotels in Cebu - Quest Hotel which is a more expensive option.

You can arrange for an airport pick up. It's PhP950 one-way for a car, but if you're a group and require a van, the charge is PhP1,500 one-way. Mandarin Bar and Restaurant is open from 7AM to 12AM. There are a dime a dozen taxis waiting in front so vehicle is accessible at any time of the day. You can get your metered taxis at any time - or ask the door man to get you one.

With no untoward incident during my stay, Mandarin Plaza Hotel, with its well appointed 322 rooms, was a pleasant place to stay in Cebu City.

This is the Eye in the Sky!
 
















Painting in my room.







The hotel's only restaurant.


For more information, visit their website @ http://www.mandarinplazahotel.com/ or email them at reservations@mandarinplazahotel.com. You may also call them at (63-32) 266-1111.

Mandarin Bar 



From my room also, I have a view of nearby Parklane's swimming pool which I always thought was Quest Hotel's (located at the other side).

No comments: