Thursday, July 3, 2014

Selfies in the Maldives, Sunsets in Maafushi


Maldives - I was taking a few selfies in the resort island of Biyadhoo (South Male Atoll) when a Pakistani came up and offered. "Can I help you?" "No, I am fine, thank you for offering," I said. "No, I saw that you were struggling. Give me your camera," he insisted. Six pictures later, I shook his hand for being generous. I wanted to say "no" so much because I did not need others for selfies. Selfie nga eh. But he was being very kind I had to oblige - and pose six times while he succinctly directed me like it was some assured, albeit professional photo shoot. Odd circumstance. Crazy world, but in a positive way.  

Later that day, back in my island in Maafushi, I barely caught the sunset. My room was about 30 meters from the beach. I scrambled to check out the kind Pakistani's photos of myself. I hated finding out that my own selfies were better than what the gentleman took. Haha. But it was all good. Nothing is lost in any kind deed.  

This is the Eye in the Sky!

2 comments:

Ishmael F. Ahab said...

Eherm! So where is that selfie? Why is it not posted here? Hehe.

eye in the sky said...

Eherm! ... because you did not post your selfie or your wifey-to-be's in your posts? Haha. Kidding aside, I think posting my photos would render my travel anecdotes a little less "universal"? It's an earlier conclusion that's probably debatable but is already 5 years too late to change so I might as well stick to it in the spirit of consistency. Haha.