Thursday, July 12, 2012

Interiors of Wat Nong Bua - Temples of Ubon Ratchathani



As I've mentioned in my previous post, Wat Nong Bua, aka Wat Phrathat Nong Bua, is one of the most eye-catching temples in Ubon Ratchathani. The designers didn't seem to spare anything, decked most of its interiors in gleaming gold, I had to catch my breath and keep my jaw shut. All this glitter somehow provides an atmosphere of "royalty" more than piety. There are 4 doors leading inside, each one has a golden Buddha facing the door.Once you look up, you will see scaffolding similarly decked in gold, and studded with glorious accouterments.

I caught a monk blessing the laity in one corner of the room, but easily disappeared too. There were very few people visiting so I had the place mostly to myself.

Wat Nong Bua is located in Thammawithi Road, some 500 meters from the commercial Chayangkun Road.

This is the Eye in the Sky!





































4 comments:

NRIGirl said...

W O O O O O ... W! It was hard to keep my jaw shut as well. I am sure the pictures don't do justice in this case!

What else is cooking @Eye? Where are we going next?

PriPat said...

Amazing photos!! Amazing location!!

eye in the sky said...

@ NRIGirl:

So true. Photos don't do justice to the beauty inside. I'm finally winding down with my travels in Ubon - just a couple more posts to complete - and close the chapter on Ubon. :)

eye in the sky said...

@ PriPat:

It's such a visually grand place, I agree. :)