Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pimping Kuala Lumpur and the Travails of Familiarity

Petronas Twin Towers




Being too familiar with KL already, it has encouraged bouts of loneliness. It is such an advantage when one is gripped with unfamiliarity for one doesn't notice the isolatory demeanor of solo traveling. I dunno why I suddenly missed home - on my very first day in this new leg of travels that would take me to new places. I roamed the area surrounding Bukit Bintang, and got smitten with the fountain display of KL's biggest mall. I wasn't alone. Caucasians and locals were similarly going camera-wild taking snaps of the fierce display of colors as the waters rose from the spout. That was the highlight of the night.


Earlier, at my plane from Clark's DMIA, I was seated beside a European guy (he was either a spaniard or a portuguese). He didn't realize that the flight to London he thought was scheduled to fly tomorrow was actually leaving today as our Air Asia plane touches down 30 minutes before the London plane leaves. Imagine, he has to make a dash at the immigration, wait for his baggage to turn up at the conveyors, then try to catch his connecting flight. Did he make it? He told me he will try hard - or that will be a plane promo of 91 euros down the drain! Fortunately, our flight arrived 35 minutes earler than schedule - giving him a good 65 minutes to make his London ride. Oh well.

PIMPING AWAY

Elsewhere, as I made my way back to Berjaya Times Square to catch the 9PM screening of the Malay film "Gold Diggers", I noticed what I didn't notice before! PIMPS and touts calling to me, "Sir, beautiful ladies...sexy." This ran along the length of Jalan Bukit Bintang going towards Jalan Pudu. Yes, the world's oldest profession is thriving even in a relatively civilized Muslim city like KL.

After the movie, my lids were fluttering heavily - and I retired unceremoniously on my bed. Then I had to wake up at 3:30AM to shower off fatigue and catch the Sky Bus (KL Sentral) going to LCCT for my flight to Tiruchirappalli.




This is the Eye in the Sky.


No comments: