Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bali Tales - Golden Sunset & Pacquiao Pieces in Kuta

Kuta Beach shimmers in sunset splendor. This photo only courtesy of dps.org.


Kuta Beach, Bali - I had the sand sift down my palms as I closed my eyes. No, the quality of sand is far from the incomparable fine-ness ("powder") or off-white-ness of Boracay's, but I guess this doesn't really matter. Whether Boracay is the world's best beach is still debatable, since I have to admit the criteria wouldn't rest on a single parameter of "sand quality."

Landing into Bali's Denpasar Ngurah Rai International Airport was revelatory. Funny thing is, it's not even in Denpasar, Bali's major city. The stark marriage of modern and traditionally Balinese architecture is undeniably eye-catching. But as soon as we slid past shops and restaurants, my jaw dropped with awe. Facades are adorned with intricately designed foyers and Balinese artifacts. This was the fastest 15 minutes in my life as we headed towards Kuta's Poppies 1 Street to get to Hotel Sorga!

More than half of the world's nationalities must be here, and as dusk comes, people party to the rhythmic drums of hedonism. Yes, I am in the party zone of Indonesia that seems too far removed from what I have seen of the country so far - but then I still have a long way to go, haven't I?

The baywalk is a potpourri of flashy cafes and restaurants, hotels that promise pampering. In a population too eclectic to appreciate, I feel sweet anonymity. I am too "alone" in a sea of strangers the inchoate charm of the experience is mildly romantic. The locals have been nothing but friendly. After being mistaken as an Indonesian, I'd correct them and they'd say, "Ahh, Pacquiao" in several incarnations: Pakoo, Pakee,Pakiw! Christian Bautista and singer Maribeth haven't been mentioned so far, but at this point of his career, who can outclass a pugilist like Manny Pacquiao?

I have so far gorged myself with Sate Babi (pork satay with peanut sauce and local spices). I have also been reserved a table for 4. Indonesians take special care of Filipinos because they treat us as "brothers" which isn't how Malaysians treat their Filipino tourists, considering I have seen sooo much of Malaysia in the last 3 years alone.

I did witness the setting sun. Bali was coated with several hues of late afternoon colors. The waves of Bali roll with ferocious fervor which is a far cry from the baby lapses of a Boracay wave. I guess this is the great difference between the two world-class beaches. You could wakeboard and surf in Bali, with a thousand of spectators right across the sand. I was one of them - gazing at silhouettes frolicking around the waves.


This is the Eye in the Sky


2 comments:

Frangipan said...

Sounds like you are having amazing travels.

eye in the sky said...

Thanks, Frangipan. It's been one learning experience so far and I couldn't say there's a lot to complain about - except of course the fleeting moments of feeling alone; the deafening silence between train rides and car transfers.